Saturday, April 7, 2012

Vegetable Kingdom



Cooking song:
I Believe To My Soul- Ray Charles

My friend Elena and I got together on a lazy Saturday, rolled up our sleeves and made a full luxury lunch (whatever that means!), using the vegetables and fruits from my seasonal, ecological basket that gets delivered to my house every week. Since I had an excess of apples, we mainly played with the apples and even invented Apple/Vegetable Soup. But trust me, it's not as crazy as it sounds. The whole time I'm thinking: I believe, yes, I believe these recipes are going to work! It was all pretty improvised, so these recipes are going to be a little bit vague...

The menu was as follows:

Green Salad with Mixed Seed Dressing
Apple soup
Zucchini Casserole

Green Salad


Everyone can make salad. The special thing about this one is that it's topped with sizzling hot seeds that have been roasted, just to the point when they start jumping around on the pan. I like to use sesame, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds. Then I simply pour some olive oil and some freshly squeezed lemon juice over it and that's it!

Apple Soup


INGREDIENTS
5 super ripe apples
Fennel
Leek
3 potatoes
1 carrot
1 onion

PROCESS
Really just chop these things up, and boil them in boiling water for about 20 to 30 minutes. Then simply puree all the ingredients so that you get a smooth, creamy consistency. As for spices, use organic vegetable mix, sweet paprika, and a lot of salt.

Be sure to decorate with pumpkin seeds, it really looks like a springtime flower when served in nice big soup plates.


Zucchini Casserole

INGREDIENTS

Scallion

Leek
Zucchini
Cherry Tomatoes
Potatoes
Feta cheese
3 eggs

Here goes:



Thinly slice the potatoes and distribute them in two layers at the bottom of your baking dish. You then grate about four sizable zucchini and chop up the scallions. You layer each in a baking dish. Then comes a layer of chopped tomatoes, and then the zucchini, again grated. As you're layering, throw in some feta sqares and leek every now and then. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan. Soak the whole Casserole in three eggs and let the veggies soak them up before you pop it in the oven for half an hour at 180 C.





1 comment:

  1. The salad is looking good, i like salads... Did i say like? I ment i love em! looving the veggies..

    As for the apple soup...ive never heard of it until now, what a crime...gotta try this:)

    thanks

    ReplyDelete